Board of Education - February 9, 2012 - Meeting Highlights
REGULAR MEETING OF THE BOARD OF EDUCATION
OF THE SCHOOL DISTRICT OF THE CITY OF ROYAL OAK
February 9, 2012
- Royal Oak Association of Retailers made a generous donation of $3,500 to the Royal Oak School District Art Club. The donation was 20% of proceeds from the inaugural Chalk & Chocolate Art Tour, for which all schools participated in.
- Principal Recognition Week: Governor Rick Snyder has proclaimed February 13-17, 2012 as Michigan School Principals' Week. People are encouraged to take time during the week of February 13th to express gratitude to all of our school building principals.
- A letter that explains the new MEAP cut scores and the impact of the cut scores on district, school and student scores was sent home with report cards for students in grades 3-8. This letters summarized the information regarding the changes to MEAP scores that has been shared at Board meetings over the past several months.
- A budget development & review was presented.
- Significant Impact Items
- Foundation Allowance
- Retirement Rate
- ARRA Edu-Jobs
- Best Practice Money
- MPSERS Categorical
- Compliance Costs
- Collective Bargaining
- Facility Needs
- Facility Needs: The District has no funding source to address the
identified building and site projects. 2005 Bond Issue and subsequent
property sales did not provide sufficient funding.
- Sinking Fund Millage
- Property Sales
- Bond Issue
- General Fund
- Royal Oak Woman’s Club Benefit, Fat Tuesday at Pronto, Tuesday,
February 21, 2012, all day. Event will benefit Blessings in a Backpack.
- Royal Oak Youth Assistance Bowl A Thon, February 26, 2012 @ Noon,
Thunderbird Lanes, www.bowlathon.net.
- Full Day Kindergarten Information Night, February 29, 2012 @ 7:00 p.m.,
ROMS Gathering Place.
- Realtor Brunch, Wednesday, March 14, 2012 @ 10:30 a.m., Addams
Elementary Media Center.
- District website updated with full-day kindergarten enrollment information.
- Next Regular board meeting is Thursday, March 8, 2012 @ 7:00 p.m.
The Board of Education Meetings are telecast on WOAK, the Royal Oak Schools Television Channel, Comcast Channel 19 or WOW Channel 15. Videos of the meetings are also available for viewing on the District website, www.royaloakschools.com, under Community. Click on WOAK, Videos on Demand.
The complete Board of Education meeting minutes are located on the District website, www.royaloakschools.com, under School Board. The minutes are posted following approval at the next regular Board of Education meeting.